The history of the Brooklyn Supreme Court Law Library goes back to 1850 when thirty attorneys each contributed one hundred dollars to found a law library.
The trustees of this private library must have been highly regarded because in 1863, when the State Legislature passed Chapter Law 43 to create a "Law Library of the Second Judicial District," the Library's trustees were authorized to manage the new court library.
The Library continued to be a private library, open only to dues paying members, even after being merged with the Supreme Court Library in 1880. In 1993, the Office of Court Administration took over the administration of the library and made it open to the public in April 1994.
The Library is now organized under sections 813 and 814 of the the Judiciary Law (c. 662 of 1993).
The Library's collection emphasizes New York state practice.